I Would I recognize Jesus
“All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you.”
a- The Jewish nation: Think of what they have received: Paul gives a list in Romans 9… they have received the mandate from the LORD. They have heard from the LORD. They have the missions mandate etc..
b- Jesus, the Messiah comes—and the LORD’S people do NOT recognize Jesus. Sinners, adulterers, the drunk apparently do—but the LORD’S people do not….
c- The LORD’S people do not recognize Jesus’ disciples
This falls to this level: They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God.
This is Jesus’ assessment: They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me.
How can you go from God’s chosen adopted people—having received the KOBOD—-the weighty glory of God (see Romans 9)
to NOT even knowing Father—-then NOT even knowing the arrival of the SON
This leads me to acknowledge
- The erring tendency of my human heart (prone to wander, Lord I feel it—prone to leave the God I love)
- History, tradition, what I did —where I came from—what I experienced—who I was—what I was a part of— is no guarantee for today—-(Lord you know I need a brand new touch… my strength from yesterday is gone….)
- New arrivals and activities of God—are just that —they are new. I have a tendency to keep God in a manageable box—if I do that—I run the risk of missing what the LORD is doing. He is always doing something fresh.
- If I read the John16 passage and chuckle—-Yes, silly Jews—what are they thinking; but, never have a moment of self-examination or questioning—perhaps I am more like these John 16 people than actually being an ardent follower of Jesus.
- Perhaps it all comes down to an ongoing, daily, minute by minute relationship with Christ. Jesus isn't a ‘back pocketed free ticket out of hell card’—He is my Saviour, lover, closest friend. Someone I am intimately and passionately in love with. Someone I would die for. Someone I need to share better with others!