That long?

That long?
     Joseph, prior to his death, gave a prophetic announcement in Genesis chapter fifty. As you perhaps recall, Joseph became the prince of Egypt due to his ability to interpret dreams. His own dream became a reality after seventeen years. He dreamed that his brothers would bow down before him--and true enough, seventeen years later, that dream was fulfilled. 
     Joseph had all his family move down to Egypt to escape a 7 year famine. The Bible tells us seventy people moved down. Joseph, as the second youngest, was probably one of the last of his twelve brothers to die. He gave this prophetic word just prior to his death:
Genesis 50:24-26  And Joseph said to his brethren, “I am dying; but God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land to the land of which He swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.” Then Joseph took an oath from the children of Israel, saying, “God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here.” So Joseph died, being one hundred and ten years old; and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.
     Joseph knew the Israelites would not stay in Egypt forever. He knew the Abrahamic promises were yet to be fulfilled. As a statement of faith and belief in that promise he states: "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here.” Really? Let's suppose something else. Abraham receives a prophetic word that the length of stay in the land of Egypt would be 400 years (Gen 15:13). That prophetic word has stuck in Joseph's mind. His father Jacob would have told him about it. 
     Move ahead into Exodus chapter twelve. 430 years have passed (noting a discrepancy between 400 or 430? --Google that if you like), and the exodus happens. Now, here's the important part. Moses takes the bones of Joseph (Exodus 13:19) with him in response to the oath of Genesis fifty.
Joseph had the children of Israel take a oath to carry out Joseph's bones 350ish years after Joseph's death. This did two things:

1. It solidified Joseph's belief in the Abrahamic covenant/ promise
2. The oath caused the leaders to retell the story to make sure the oath was obeyed. Moses was simply doing what he was told to do by previous generations. 'God is going to visit us, take us into the promised land--make sure you take Joseph's bones--our forefathers took a oath that we would bring up his bones with us!' This stirred faith in the people's hearts. 

Here's what I learned from this story:
1. I need to keep telling the next generation stories, promises, and actions of the Spirit. 
2. I am not doing my job if I am not preparing for succeeding generations. I need to think in terms of the babies of my church ultimately becoming the senior citizens of my church. I have a responsibility to them. I can't think short term. I have to plan, work, and pray long term. 
What if, when I die I leave a cornerstone block already inscribed for a new church plant in the northern portion of St Thomas? Wow! But, isn't something of that nature my responsibility? What's yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

Duh--What church should I attend?

It's just too noisy!