Jesus is coming--perhaps today?

I am again thinking about Jesus' return.  Our adult Bible class teacher, just this past Sunday posed a question to us.  Here it is.  "When are the last days?"  Immediately, someone responded with the usual, 'oh, the days just prior to Jesus' return.'  I suggested that the last days began in Acts 2.  Peter, if you remember quoted from the book of Joel to describe the events of Acts 2.   The outpouring of the Spirit, according to Peter, was a fulfillment of the Joelic prophecy of a last day outpouring.  Acts 2:17...In these last days...


So, the last days are days that occur from Acts 2 until the end of time as we know it.  These days will be climaxed with the coming of King Jesus.  Hebrews tells us that Jesus will appear a second time.  Hebrews 9:28

"so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation."


Jesus is coming again, not to deal with sin but to bring 'salvation' to all who eagerly await for him.


Questions:


1.  What is this salvation that I don't already have?   What I have so far is an infinitesimally small portion of what awaits me.  I have the Spirit that is a guarantee of what is to come.  But, as I figure it--that seed of immortality that is within me is so puny compared to what is coming for me.   Paul tells me in Romans 8:23-25

"Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But, if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance."


So, I have only the first fruits.  It's like planting a seed of corn that can grow into a whole new plant bearing many husks of corn.   I only have a little seed!  But, in that seed I have a guarantee of something so huge, glorious, indescribable, terrific, awesome--Jesus is coming to bring all that to me!


2.  Am I eagerly awaiting for him?  Remember the Hebrew passage?  "To those who eagerly wait for him…"


Am I eagerly awaiting for Jesus?  Or am I eagerly awaiting:

  • Retirement?
  • My stocks to do better?
  • Hockey season to start?
  • My next holiday?
  • A new car?
  • A visit from my grand babies?
  • A day off?
  • Christmas?


What really turns my crank?

What is really worth waiting for?  A BBQ steak after a five day fast?  A nice warm bed after running out of gas on a cold night?  

A long awaited vacation ?


The way I think the Bible reads is this.  If I want to be useful for the kingdom, I have to prioritize the kingdom.  These are the last days.  I need to prioritize God's kingdom.  I need to eagerly await the coming of Jesus by assigning God's kingdom first place in my life, on my schedule, in my bank account, etc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

It's just too noisy!

Dumb Mistakes