Standing up for each other


     If you are a hockey fan you have offered your two cents on this already--that is, the David Clarkson suspension. For those unfamiliar with the finer points of hockey, here is what happened. In a pre-season game between the Buffalo Sabres and the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Sabres' tough guy (meaning I'll punch your lights out), a person by the name of John Scott, decides to go after Leaf's star Phil Kessel. Scott explained he was just doing his job, punching out the closest person--no offense intended. Kessel is staring at Scott's belly button and Scott decides to take a shot at Kessel. There is almost a foot difference in size between these guys. Well, this is too much for the teammates of Kessel. Carter Ashton was the first to the rescue. But in the mayhem that followed David Clarkson jumped off the bench and into the fray. 
     This is where the no-no occurred. David should not have done that! David, as a matter of fact, broke Rule 70.6 that states: "A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the player who is the first or second player to leave the players' or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation, from either or both teams." Oops!
     David is now automatically suspended from ten regular season games (when the season starts on October 1) and loses his salary. Clarkson will forfeit a salary representing those games of $269,230.80.
There are any number of side stories and opinions on this one--but the one I want to make is simple. The Leaf team went ballistic. They threw caution to the wind. The goalies fought. Clarkson jumped off the bench. Sticks flew, gloves flew, and punches were thrown. Why? Because they were a team. They went to war for each other. They stood together.
     Last week I was teaching at the Teen Challenge center in Lambeth Ontario. The fifth lesson of a seminar I taught is called, "Learning to walk in covenant relationships." I quoted one line, which I believe I received from Bishop David Huskins. Here, it is: "I have more grace than your sin." I had forgotten that statement--and was freshly moved by it. I explained to the students the importance of the covenant brothers I have in my life. 
     So now I ask these questions:
             If the Toronto Maple Leafs can go to battle for each other--why can't we?
             Why are people's sins bigger than our grace to them?
             Why are we lone rangers? Mavericks? Loners?
             Why don't we love unconditionally?
             Why don't we go the extra mile to demonstrate love and compassion?
             Why don't' we call that person, email them, take them for coffee--just be kind?
I wonder if we can get David Clarkson to join our church? We might be better off?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

Dumb Mistakes

Duh--What church should I attend?