Who has the right to speak into my life?

 Have you noticed there are a plethora of individuals who are willing to tell you what to do?  Or to tell you how you don’t measure up?


I want us to ask ourselves this important question:

Who has the right to speak into my life?  Or better:  Who am I giving the right to speak into my life?




1.  I need someone to speak into my life!  Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)  “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.”  I need guides.  I need direction.  I’m not perfect.  I have blind spots.  

2.  I want to be wise! Proverbs 8:33-36 (KJV ) “Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.  Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.  For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord.  But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.”  This means I want people to speak into my life!  I want people to tell me where I am missing it.

3.  Now those two things do not preclude the necessity of indiscriminately listening to, and accepting critics from literally anyone at any time.



Some ideas to help you:


 I am open to receive correction from and advice from the following kind of person:

  1. People with whom I have history—they have a vested interest in me.  We are not acquaintances.  We’ve eaten together.  We have coffee together.  We spend time together.  We pray together.  We work together. 
  2. People who love me.  They prove this with helping me, giving me cards, calling me, visiting me and being generous towards me.  They love me warts and all!  I know it!
  3. People who have my best interest in mind.  In the conversation they are concerned primarily with me and my life and not their agenda.  They don’t have a hidden agenda they are concerned about me and my spiritual walk.  
  4. People who I want to receive advice from.  I recently heard the following quote:  ‘Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t take advice from.’



Look out!


  1. I have over the years sat in people’s presence and been beaten up emotionally.  I’m not interested in that anymore!  I have very good loving friends who can take me aside, but that is not a long list of people.  But make sure you have some people in that category!
  2. What do you do with aggressive in your face individuals who are bent on correcting you?  Use your two God given feet and walk away and go to someone who really loves you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

It's just too noisy!

Dumb Mistakes