You are probably familiar with the story in John chapter four where Jesus is interacting with the Samaritan woman at the well. In Jesus' dialogues with the woman, Jesus challenges the woman to seek what I will call an eternal water springing up from within. This eternal water springing up within is juxtaposed to the water in the well. The well of water becomes the centre piece of the dialogue. Jesus asks for water---but then offers water. Jesus water is eternal; the woman's water is drawn from the well they are sitting around. The woman's water will eventually lose its thirst quenching ability. Eventually, you will get thirsty again, and need another drink from the well.
Jesus boldly asserts: "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14)."
The point is clear:
1. ONLY Jesus supplies something that can satisfy--both initially and ongoing.
2. ANY other 'kind of water' (read: money, books, relationship, work, health, status, ego, sex, cars, vacations, houses, etc) can only satisfy in a temporal manner.
3. Jesus supplies a satisfaction that is likened unto a well of water springing up!
- Springing up is used only three times in the New Testament.
- Here in our present text
- Ac 3:8* And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
- Ac 14:10* Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked.
- Interesting that the other two text have to do with crippled people who leaped up... and walked
- Idolatry is using the non-satisfying things (the temporal) in an attempt to satisfy. Ask, Lord what do I love? Lord was satisfies me deeply? Lord what thrills me?
- How incredible is this: What Jesus gives is so eternal and satisfying, it is best described as that endless supply of water bubbling up from within. Ask the LORD to cause you to experience, live in, and dwell in that eternal supply of satisfying water that is deep within you. Ask the LORD to give you understanding and revelation of this: ALL you need for ALL of live is ALREADY deep within you. Let it be released. Stop chasing non-satisfying things, programs, people, ideas, stuff.