Am I open to being rebuked?

Prov 9:7 “Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse.
 8 Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
 9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
 10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
 11 For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life.
 12 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.”



  1. If I am open to being rebuked... it proves I'm not all that dumb after-all!
  2. If I get upset and refuse to listen to a rebuke...it proves that I am a mocker.  A mocker is one who scorns rebuke.

I am reminded of a number of saying I copied down by Dr Mike Murdock:





  • I Don’t Correct...Where I See Error. 
  • I Correct...Where I See Humility. 

 
  • I Don’t Correct Where I See Disagreement. 
  • I Correct Where I See A Learner. 

  • When You Stopped Asking... You Stopped Learning. 
  • When You Stopped Learning... Your present became   your future 


  • It's difficult for me to stay interested in someone who
  • Ignores my counsel


  • I Don't...Correct Liars.
  • I Don't...Counsel The Disinterested.
Some things to consider:

  1. A smart person is one who seeks a mentor, counsellor, a life coach, a spiritual director--someone who can effectively speak into his life.
  2. A smart person can be told what do.  A smart person can receive a rebuke.
  3. A smart person understands that growth--be that spiritual, emotional, intellectual, social, or whatever--will not likely happen outside of relationship.
  4. A person who really loves me will tell me the truth--even if it initially is very painful.  As Proverbs says "Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses." (Prov. 27:5-6)
Please don't all rebuke me at once!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

It's just too noisy!

Duh--What church should I attend?