The difficult balance

I have issues with balancing things.  I can't ride my bike unless I have at least one hand on the handlebars.  A guy rides his bike past my window every morning as I read my Bible and drink my breakfast shake.  He is usually peddling away with his arms crossed--perfect balance!

There is another balancing issue I have.  Here it is:

Listen to these scriptures and note my comments:

Psalms 127:1
A Song of degrees for Solomon.
 Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it:
except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

My comments:  What I think Jesus wants me to do (ie  build His church)  I can't.  As a matter of fact UNLESS He builds it, I may as well sell Dixie Dee Ice-cream and forget pastoring all together.

Hebrews 4:9-10
There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

My comments:  Ministry is rest.  Huh?  That's what this says.  I must enter into a rest... just like God did. To enter that 'rest' I must 'cease from my own labours'  Wow, that's confusing!

So can I sit around all day and God will do His thing?  And, I just watch and rest?

But here is the balancing act:
1 Corinthians 4:2
"Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful."
So, I need to be faithful.  I need to NOT look back--keeping my hand on the plough.  I need to forget those things which are behind and press on.  I need to beat my body.  I need to cross the finishing line with the intent of winning the race.  This is the other side of the coin.

I can't just sit around all day--but neither can I imagine that I can actually do what needs to be done--only Jesus can build His church.  And, as luck would have it--He promised He would!

Jesus, please help me with this balancing act.
Oh, BTW--did I tell you?  I am also nervous about heights, so hopefully this balancing act isn't too high!  This is helpful in my balancing act as long as I don't soar too high! Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

Dumb Mistakes

It's just too noisy!