The message is not the answer

Check this out first:
http://www.charismanews.com/us/38737-controversial-teacher-rob-bell-endorses-same-sex-marriage


We must remember that the message that we live, preach and want to share is not the point.
Jesus is the point.
Because Jesus is the point, the gospels show us a number of alarming things:

1. They show us that religious people generally don't like Jesus.
2. They show us that Jesus preaches a no compromise kind of message. He does not preach grey-- it's pretty black or white.
3. They show us that Jesus is okay giving bits and pieces and leaving people hanging. He's okay with the fact that 'duh--they don't get it.' He doesn't keep on explaining. He tells His story and then walks away. He is okay with process
4. They also show us Jesus is okay with 'I don't want you' or 'Your message is too hard' or 'You're nuts!' That doesn't seem to bother Jesus in the least.
5. Most sinners apparently liked Jesus, even though they seemed a little clued out as to what Jesus was talking about.

So, now I ask myself-- what about me? Are those five (maybe--- probably more than five) true about me and my preaching, my teaching and my life?
Am I more concerned about me and my comfort level? Yikes! Or am I more concerned about 'winning a soul' like that is some kind of check mark that the Spirit keeps track of up in heaven?

Maybe I should simply point people to Jesus and let the Spirit do the rest. It is not about me. It is not about MY message. Rob Bell is wrong. The Scriptures and Jesus' teachings are universal-- and Jesus' popularity is quite immaterial to Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to hate your sin

Dumb Mistakes

Duh--What church should I attend?