What a kiss!


It is my favourite series of parables—Luke 15.  Three stories of being found.

The Lost Sheep is found.

The Lost Coin is found.

The Lost Son is welcomed home.


You might recall the great text of the younger son coming to his senses: Luke 15:17-20 (NIV) “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father.


He came to his senses and decided to head back home and ask his father for a job.  It seemed reasonable to him, after all; he messes up pretty badly.  While he was a long way off, his father, apparently looking and waiting for him, sees him. Luke 15:20 (NIV) “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.


Imagine the scene.  Stinky, emaciated, dirty son comes home, and father runs and kisses him!

What a kiss!


“Christ is the kiss of God given to all humanity, indeed to the entire universe.  It is a physical embrace, not withheld as a future reward for a life well lived, but an embrace that interrupts the trajectory of human history.”  Vincent Pizzuto;  Contemplating Christ:  The Gospels and the Interior Life p 73


Has your life been interrupted with a Kiss?  Maybe a series of Kisses?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breath Prayers

Learning to hate your sin

R.I.P